Christmas Eve is finally here and this is one day in which I am thankful that I don't have a close knit family because then I would have to participate in their ridiculous rituals. The drinking has begun and the stench of dead shrimp hangs heavy in the air as they're all gathered around the dinning room table talking about what else, football. It smells worse than the ladies room at CBGB's ever smelled. If you've never been to CBGB's then you know not what I speak of but trust me, IT STINKS! After several drinks, Rasputia will retire to her room to do whatever wildebeests like her do on Christmas Eve and she will force Sammy Davis Urkle and her young minions to scrub the house from top to bottom because she is getting a Christmas visitor tomorrow that is allergic to cats.
RIDICULOUS! She never fucking cleans this dump but now because someone is coming over she needs to impress them by not lifting a finger and making everyone else do her dirty work. Give me a break!
So what does a lonely diabetic do on Christmas Eve? Watch movies of course! I have filled my weekends and some week nights during the month of November and December watching many Christmas movies and all the good TV specials I now own on DVD thanks to a lovely lady I once worked with who has since passed away. Now that they've all been watched it is time for movies that aren't necessarily considered "Christmas" movies but they take place during Christmas or have a notable Christmas scene in them so to me, they are Christmas movies. Going My Way, The Bells of St. Mary's, Meet John Doe and It's A Wonderful Life all have Christmas scenes in them so of course they qualify as "Christmas" movies. Classic and FANTASTIC Christmas movies that many folks think of this time of year so I will not bother to give you my review of those films, they all earn 5 PLUS stars in my book.
Here are my picks for films that make me merry around the holiday season in no particular order:
While You Were Sleeping (1995)
A darling little gem of a film starring Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman that takes place during the Christmas season. Sandra Bullock's character Lucy has a crush on Peter Gallagher's character of the same first name who to me is basically just that, a real peter or dick if you want to be so bold. His uni brow creeps me out and you get the vibe that he is a real ass but for some reason she finds him attractive. He ends up getting knocked onto some train tracks and Lucy saves him. Peter is in a coma and his family thinks Lucy and he are engaged and they immediately welcome her into their family. It's what Lucy needs because she has no family and well, I won't give much away but it has some touching moments and funny moments too. What makes it a comedy worth seeing are all of the supporting characters. Peter Boyle, Micole Mercurio, Jack Warden, Michael Rispoli and the wonderful Glynis Johns. These characters make the film hilarious! "New Year's Eve hasn't been the same since Guy Lombardo died." and Christmas isn't Christmas without viewing this film. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.
Trading Places (1983)
What the hell do stockbrokers, a ne'er do well and a hooker have to do with Christmas? A LOT! The film takes place in Philadelphia during the Christmas season and the comic duo of Eddie Murphy and Dan Akroyd are worth gold! Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder were originally scheduled to play the roles of Billy Ray Valentine and Louis Winthorpe III but it did not happen and personally I just can't see it. Pryor may have been able to pull it off but Gene Wilder is too gentle to play a regular old Mr. Snooty Pants like Louis. The supporting cast of Ralph Bellamy, Don Ameche and Denholm Elliot are OUTSTANDING and Jamie Lee Curtis does a nice job as well. If you have not seen this film I suggest you check it out real soon. I give this film 4 out of 5 stars.
Moonstruck (1987)
A'more is in the air during the festive month of December in New York City and Cher as Loretta Castorini is simply delightful in this Academy Award Winning role. Loretta is a widowed bookkeeper who is engaged to "a big baby" of a man named Johnny Cammareri who is about to fly to Sicily to be with his dying mother. Johnny wants to repair the "bad blood" between him and his brother Ronnie played so brilliantly by Nicholas Cage.
Johnny asks Loretta to call Ronnie and invite him to their wedding. Once Loretta meets Ronnie the film gets even funnier. Again, it is the supporting characters that make this film genius for me. It is one of those movies you need to see more than once to get some of the subtle humor that you may have missed the first time time around. If you watch the film with me for your second viewing, I will gladly point out those moments as well as rattle off hilarious quotes as they happen. Oh this film is FULL of memorable lines. This is a 5 star film for me and one I watch several times each year.
Die Hard (1988)
Bruce Willis as Officer John McClane, need I say more! It is perhaps the best "Christmas" movie EVER!
4 1/2 out of 5 stars.
Evelyn(2002)

This is a blink and you'll miss it film that only played in 15 theaters in the USA in 2002. The film opens in 1953 on Christmas Day in Ireland when Desmond Doyle, played by Pierce Brosnan is arguing with is wife over her shenanigans with another man. Desmond's wife leaves him the following day to be with this man and she also leaves behind her 3 children. The oldest one is her daughter Evelyn played with such heart and soul by Sophie Vavasseur. Because Desmond is currently unemployed and there is no mother to take care of the children, they are shipped off to two different Catholic orphanages by the authorities. The film really has nothing to do with Christmas but it is a heart warming tale of a man's struggle to bring his children home. Scenic Ireland and the background music add a richness to this film that gives off the vibe of some of those older "Christmas" classics I mentioned before. If you love the Irish and their funny ways, you will enjoy this movie as much as I do. I saw this movie on Showtime in 2003 and wore out my VHS recorded copy of it. So I recently rented it from Netflix and I am hoping Santa brings me the DVD for Christmas because I enjoy this funny and sappy film that is actually based on a true story. I give it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.
Millions (2004)
Seven year old Damian's mother has just passed away and he seems to cope by using his vivid imagination. Damian sees and talks to saints. The audience gets to peer into Damian's world and it is magical. Damian along with his father and older brother move into a new housing development and while emerged in one of his fantasies, Damian finds a large gym bag full of millions of dollars. It is a touching tale with some humor and it's just so pleasing to the eye to watch. Danny Boyle is one of my favorite directors because he has a unique way of telling a story and Millions is perhaps my favorite Danny Boyle film after Shallow Grave. The movie earns 5 PLUS stars in my book!
Oh and it does take place at Christmas time and there are Mormons in it so now you MUST check this movie out! In the immortal words of Damian, there is but one word to describe this film, "BRILLIANT!"
That's it folks. Those are the "Christmas" films I enjoy this time of year. I am sure I missed a few but these are the ones I must watch to make my Christmas feel like Christmas.
off to enjoy another sunny, SUNNY day!










No comments:
Post a Comment